Monday, June 16, 2014

6-14 Adventuring Around Town, Obed

I skyped with Meghan this morning, which was wonderful.  Unfortunately my internet cut out because I ran out of data, but we later discussed that at least we didn’t waste 5 minutes trying to say goodbye like we always do J

Then was a meeting with Wuqu about our responsibilities coming up next week.  We really have a lot to do, but we’ll make it.  I am starting to look at myself as crazy for signing up for so much work without pay, but then I remember that this is not about money, but rather is about preparing myself for my long-term goals of having a globally-impactful career.  At that point I remind myself that I’m not crazy, just different.

After hanging out a few extra minutes at the café, I called dad over Skype.  It was a good father’s day present, at least the best that I can give right now.  We had lots of great discussion, and it is always fun to reach back in time 2 weeks to living at home before having my mind shaken by the new experiences of Guatemala. 

In the afternoon, Louisa and I adventured around the city for a while.  There are so many photogenic sights.  I know that I will almost always be disappointed by these pictures compared to those I took with my good camera in Peru, but I also know that it would be incredibly awkward to carry around a DSLR around a town where I already draw looks as if I’m an alien.  Below are a few of the highlights.

The view out my front door





The best moment was when we walked by a group of little kids, and they started laughing hysterically.  Such is the nature of how we are viewed here.  They played around near us for a long time.  It was fun for all of us.  I couldn’t help but wonder if we were the first white people they had seen in their entire lives.  Given the low frequency of white people here, and the location of their house off the beaten path, it is completely possible.  What an honor.


Later in the afternoon, Obed, a friend I was connected with through the International Fellowship of Evangelical Students , and I were finally able to meet up.  He was very welcoming to me; I went to his house for coffee and a small dinner, where he and his family asked me all about myself.  I think it was almost hard for them to understand why I would come to their little town and learn to speak Kaqchikel.  Especially if I wasn’t getting paid for it and wasn’t getting credit for it.  Again, a question I ask myself occasionally, but I did my best to explain it.  I am excited to have a friend in town now, even if he will only be here on weekends.  I also plan to go to church with him and his family tomorrow if I return at a decent hour.  

No comments:

Post a Comment