Thursday, June 5, 2014

Continuing Kab'lajuj Ey

I overall am still very much enjoying my time with Wuqu’ Kawoq in the Kab’lajuj Ey language school.  It is still blowing my mind a little bit every day, but I am happy with my improvement.  We’re already speaking in sentences and conjugating verbs.  The conjugations occur on the front of the word instead of the prefixes changing as in English and Spanish, so that’s been interesting.  Another interesting aspect of the language is that nouns change when they are possessed by something else.  For example, to say “the hand” versus “my hand”, you must use a different word for hand.  I am very happy that English doesn’t have anything like that.  Also, the number system is based on 20’s.  So, to say 33, one must say one-twenty-ten-three in the same way that we say 153 as one-hundred-fifty-three.  I can’t imagine thinking of numbers in that way.  It’s so bizarre.  Overall, there are good times and hard times (this is legitimately one of the hardest classes I’ve ever taken), but I remain excited and ready to continue pressing into this fantastic experience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment